Friday, October 10, 2014

Post-Reduction Procedure aka I am Wolverine.

When I come to, I'm talking about X-Men. Specifically I am talking about Wolverine and how I am now just like him.

True story. The room is now almost empty, except for a nurse and two doctors, who tell me everything went well. I look down only to see that my right leg is encased half-way up my hip with heavy plaster.

"Did you guys break the rest of my leg while I was under?", I slurred. Words are hard, post-anethesia.

"With a break as bad as yours, we have to make sure your leg is completely immobilized, and the only way to do that is by immobilizing your knee as well", the doctor answered.



I tried to lift my leg, but it felt as if it was dipped in cement. This was going to be fun.

It was around 10:00PM at this time, and the nurse wheeled me to the X-Ray room, pushing my gurney against the wall. And then she left.
Now, if you're ever put under anesthesia and given pain meds at a hospital, I would advice you to give someone your phone, because if you don't, you may or may not send out mass texts to your friends with pictures of you in all your hospital glory (pale as a sheet, with tubes going into your nose) with captions such as "Don't I look pretty?". Except for the captions actually read more like " Dnnt Il ok prwty. Yay drugs.

Finally it was time for my X-ray. My technician was a super sweet, smiling lady, and after I laid down, she smiled and said, " So you're the famous Wolverine".

My reputation precedes me once again.

The rest of my hospital visit was pretty nondescript. They pumped me full of morphine and then gave me anti-nauseau medicine when I got sick. I finally felt strong enough to go to the bathroom, and the nurse commended me on my excellent use of my crutches. (Randomly enough, I'm really good on crutches).
They finally let my boyfriend come into the ER, and he waited with me while the hospital drew up my discharge papers. Around 12AM, I hobbled out of the ER into the main lobby. My two lady friends from earlier were still waiting, and both of them came up and gave me a big hug.

Then, finally we were out of the hospital.

That night, aided by painkillers and exhaustion, I finally drifted off to sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment